Talk:Arthur Nikisch

Page contents not supported in other languages.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
WikiProject iconClassical music
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Classical music, which aims to improve, expand, copy edit, and maintain all articles related to classical music, that are not covered by other classical music related projects. Please read the guidelines for writing and maintaining articles. To participate, you can edit this article or visit the project page for more details.
WikiProject iconBiography: Musicians Start‑class
WikiProject iconThis article is within the scope of WikiProject Biography, a collaborative effort to create, develop and organize Wikipedia's articles about people. All interested editors are invited to join the project and contribute to the discussion. For instructions on how to use this banner, please refer to the documentation.
StartThis article has been rated as Start-class on Wikipedia's content assessment scale.
Taskforce icon
This article is supported by WikiProject Musicians (assessed as Mid-importance).

Nikisch's Violin Professor[edit]

His violin teacher in 1866 would have to have been Josef Hellmesberger Sr., because J.H. Jr. was only 11 years old at the time which was the same age as Nikisch. — Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 18:32, 28 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Beethoven recording[edit]

I have a source that says the Beethoven recording was in 1909, but other language wikis say 1913. I'll do more research. David Brooks 07:28, 31 Mar 2005 (UTC)

1913 is correct, but it's not the first recording of a complete symphony, so I've removed that assertion. Beethoven's Fifth was recorded in 1910 by the Grosses Odeon Streich-Orchester. I don't have the sources handy, but The Orchestra on Record (Arnold) or The Fabulous Phonograph (Gelatt) will confirm this. ReverendWayne (talk) 19:39, 10 July 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Deutsche Grammophon[edit]

The recording of the Beethoven 5th was made by Deutsche Grammophon on 10 November 1913. I've never seen an EMI reissue as DG has owned the rights for it since its original recording date. I assumed this was common knowledge, but details are on the DG website, under "About Us". —Preceding unsigned comment added by (talk) 16:50, 5 November 2008 (UTC)Reply[reply]

At the time, Deutsche Grammophon was (if I'm remembering correctly) 60 percent owned by the Gramophone Company in England, with the other 40 percent ownership being German. During the war, the company was taken over as enemy property and later sold to Polyphon. In later years, both EMI and DG have claimed copyright in the Nikisch recording. Both companies issued it on LP. Since then, the recording has fallen into the public domain in some countries, and there have been independent CD issues such as the one by Symposium in England. ReverendWayne (talk) 19:44, 10 July 2009 (UTC)Reply[reply]


No sources are available stating Nikisch's religion. Unless User: can provide a source showing why he added Category:Jewish classical musicians, it shall be removed per a google search: [1].

File:Nicola Perscheid Portrait of Arthur Nikisch.jpeg Nominated for Deletion[edit]

An image used in this article, File:Nicola Perscheid Portrait of Arthur Nikisch.jpeg, has been nominated for deletion at Wikimedia Commons in the following category: Deletion requests January 2012
What should I do?

Don't panic; a discussion will now take place over on Commons about whether to remove the file. This gives you an opportunity to contest the deletion, although please review Commons guidelines before doing so.

  • If the image is non-free then you may need to upload it to Wikipedia (Commons does not allow fair use)
  • If the image isn't freely licensed and there is no fair use rationale then it cannot be uploaded or used.

This notification is provided by a Bot --CommonsNotificationBot (talk) 17:35, 9 February 2012 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Parents' nationalities[edit]

Some other versions and languages of Wikipedia show nationalities similar to these for his parents, except they are reversed - saying his mother was from Hungary. I have no clue who is right, if anyone is, but clearly someone somewhere has it wrong. TooManyFingers (talk) 17:13, 12 November 2021 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Grove lists the parents' nationalities as Father - Moravian, and Mother - Hungarian. (talk) 18:25, 28 October 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]

Successor after death[edit]

Albert Heinig is not listed on the Leipzig Gewandhausorchester's historical list of directors.[1]

All other sources I can find that he did in fact succeed Nikisch appear to be sourced from this article.

Lemonbfy (talk) 01:35, 18 June 2022 (UTC)Reply[reply]


  1. ^ {{cite web}}: Missing or empty |title= (help)